HBO Insider
cpeditto

“Flip a District”

This year we’re going to be entering into the exciting world of outright meddling with the political process, as we attempt to “Flip a District.”

It’s simple: There are a lot of terrible, entrenched congressmen out there. Many don’t even have an opponent. We’re going to choose one of them, throw him into the national spotlight, and see if we can’t send him scuttling under the refrigerator on Election Night.

Phase 1 will begin immediately: Bill will ask our viewers to tell us why their representative needs to be sent packing. Once we’ve chosen the district, we will spend the year periodically looking at the district, meeting the entrenched incumbent, introducing his fresh-faced challenger, getting to know the people they want to serve, and generally doing our level best to flip that district.

So if you live in a district where your congressman has gotten a little too comfy, we want to hear about it! Take to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and tell us why they deserve the boot. Include #flipadistrict in your plea and follow the action all season long here at HBO.com. 

Please use plain text.
Fresh
JoeB

Re: “Flip a District”

[ Edited ]

This is great.  Please consider ejecting Scott Garrett, R/NJ from Congress.  They gerrymandered the district and got this hand servant of the banksters in office in what had formerly been a solidly progressive Democrat district.  Garrett votes to water down financial reform, encouraging fraud in publicly traded companies and constantly opposes consumer financial protection.  He has to go!  Just be aware that Garrett is heavily bankrolled by the banksters.  In fact, he has received more money from Wall Street than any other member of the House.  If you were able to flip this district you would strike fear in the cold hearts of the GOP and Tea Party crackpots.

Please use plain text.
Fresh
Ablew1

This is a wonderful idea. If any district needs to be flipped it is the 5th Congressional District in southside Virginia.  Robert Hurt is the Representative and he spews all of the Republican nonsensical talking points, even if he is corrected. (Just like Darryl Issa). Because of where we are located it may be impossible to roust him, however, he was elected in 2010 when the democrats were caught sleeping, and the "dog catcher" could have been elected to congress.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE consider him as a candidate or at least "honorable mention". I can provide historical data about this district, dating back to the 1960's. I have written him and called his office many times regarding issues such as health care and his 40+ votes to repeal it, unemployment insurance, equal pay, and etc., I can go on and on.  My last email to him asked him to point out just one employer in the 5th District who would hire someone to do the same thing 40 plus times (even though they knew the results would be the same "failure").  Suprisingly, NO ANSWER.

Please use plain text.
Fresh
janebarr

Hurray!!!  Maybe you can get Eric Cantor, VA 7th district.. He is so not liked and is a disgrace to his religion. Judaism teaches us to help our neighbors, He only seeks to destroy.

Please help us defeat him.  He does not care about this district, if He did He would do something about it.

I like this segment very much.  Keep up the good work

Please use plain text.
Fresh
AaronL

Re: “Flip a District” --Pat Tiberi

Pat Tiberi of Ohio's 12th Congressional District should be considered for Bill's Flip a District project. I should first mention that Mr. Tiberi is no longer my congressman, but he was for several years. That is, until I was gerrymandered out of his district in 2012 even though I live on the same street his home office is located on (here in Columbus, Ohio, near Westerville). And I mean that quite literally. I could walk to his office in about a minute from my apartment, yet he wasn't on my ballot in 2012. Mr. Tiberi is the exact kind of entrenched politician I think Bill is looking for. He's been in office since 2001 and has been re-elected several times with little to no opposition. If you look at the drawing of his district, it's one of those ridiculous shapes that makes little sense. But it's drawn to include places like Newark, Ohio (mostly white, rural, conservative, Republican supporting type place). When I was a constituent of Mr. Tiberi's a few years ago, I actually had several phone-conversations with his office. I contacted them to ask a simple question, how many men from Ohio had been killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (both of which Mr. Tiberi voted for and, in the case of Afghanistan, continues to support...!), but his office had absolutely no clue. I repeat, the man doesn't know how many Ohioans have been killed in wars he authorized. Also, Mr. Tiberi is a complete partisan hack. The man has no ideas and to my knowledge has never really authored any bills. He's a complete dorkus, to use a technical term. Further, if you check out his facebook page, all he does is incessantly rant against Obamacare. I'd be willing to bet that upwards of 98% of his posts concern the ACA, and of course most of it is complete malarkey. This guy is definitely in the bubble. I'm fully convinced that Mr. Tiberi and his people have simply determined that the best way for him to keep his cushy $172,000 a year job (as re-election is really the only thing he truly cares about, not anything crazy like actually improving the country) is to criticize the President at every turn, despite things like, you know, facts and truth and reasonableness. I could go on, but I'll leave it there. I think Mr. Tiberi is a perfect "candidate" to be flipped. #flipadistrict

Please use plain text.
Fresh
MichaelMcKinley

I know this will get ignored due to where I live but look at the numbers for area code 34667. From Sept 2012 to Sept 2013 34667 has lost 46% of its employment. I attended the Pasco County job fair a couple of months ago as I have been out of work for almost a year which is less than most of my neighbors and people I talk to just to find several thousand of us waiting for the doors to open. When the doors did open there were 5 companies that showed up and were accepting applications. One was a medical company looking for nurses. One was the sheriffs Department looking for recruits. One was a farm equipment company looking for welders. Then there was Lowes and Walmart looking for part time seasonal employees at 8.00 ph. Pathetic Huh? We are among the worst counties in the country on a steady decline. Then our crooked Governor Rick Scott as you may remember was part of the largest Medicare fraud case in history in 1996 with his company Columbia who is now our Governor which shows you how ignorant Florida is as a state is telling everybody that Florida's unemployment is among the lowest in the country. (WHAT A CROCK)!!! He just dumped over 70,000 people off of teir 3 unemployment in Dec which don't show up in the numbers anymore along with the tens of thousands who's unemployment ran out within the last 5 years which is when Florida started getting hit hard. Several of my friends and neighbors have been out of work for years trying to find temp jobs so they can put food on the table for they're families. Rick Scott say's there are 25,000 jobs in the state of Florida. What a joke. Maybe minimum wage part time jobs, at least that is all there is in this area.

Please use plain text.
Fresh
JeanneBuell

Idaho CD1 Congressman Raul Labrador.  Because he is an idiot and idiots should not be in congress!!!!

Please use plain text.
Fresh
ScottK

#flipadistrict  Please consider my self-congratulatory Congressman Rep. Tom Marino of the 10th District in Pennsylvania.  He was one of the eighty signers of the Tea Party Letter to use a Default to get Obamacare axed.  Sadly, our local newspaper, The Williamsport Sun-Gazette, did not deem it necessary to let the constituents know this.  His latest was the recent legislation passed by Congress, WITH his vote, that caused Flood Insurance payments to skyrocket here in North-Central PA.  He voted for it, but is now against it.  Sound familiar?!?  He said he didn't know this could happen.  This man is an ATTORNEY and didn't know the ramifications.  His record of votes is very rarely covered here by the print, nor the broadcast media. He is a Tea Party hack and a GOP lapdog.  His district includes Williamsport, PA, the home of the Little League World series.  You could have a field day here.  When a large percentage of people in this are see an 'R' behind someone's name, they vote for that person no matter what.  Tom Marino would be a fun one to go after too.  He does not like dissent from others, so I hear.  My area rarely gets a glance at anything political.  The only time we are noticed is during the Little League World series, a disaster happens (TWA Flight 800-in Montoursville...in this district) or a documentary is done about water in the Township of Dimock, Susquehanna County.  This is a very gerrymandered district and I know you and your staff would have fun.  Tom Marino has been in for a short time, but whenever a Republican is in office here...it is for a long long time.  Thanks for your consideration.

Please use plain text.
Fresh
Rowjoe

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help send Eric Cantor packing. He is an absolute embarrASSment. I live in this guy's district and find myself apologizing far too often.

His legislative expertise is simply to oppose anything the President wants to do. This is a guy who is the poster child for what is wrong with congress and he needs to go.

Sending the Majority Whip home will show how much influence a media spotlight really has.

There is no one in congress who deserves to lose more than Eric Cantor.

Please use plain text.
Fresh
RobinHalbrooks

Paul Ryan; Wisconsin. Enough said.

Please use plain text.